Wednesday, June 16, 2010

First post!

I am doing this blog not because there are a lack of "couch to 5k" (C25k) blogs, but because there are a LOT of them. The difference with mine, is that I will be using Vibram Five Fingers (VFFs) instead of shoes, and running the whole program (hopefully) with them on my feet. I hope to prove that the C25k program CAN be run in VFFs, and that it can be successful in them.

Why VFFs? Because I tried, and failed, to run the C25K in normal (cheap) shoes. I got to week three before a very painful pair of shin splints made me unable to run. I was disappointed. I did some reading on how they are caused, and how possibly going barefoot could help, and how it had already helped a lot of people. So, I got curious. Could that help me finish the program? I bought a pair of VFFs, a minimal shoe, and started the program over again. The first run went well, see my next post for details.

Just a bit about me: I am not a runner! I am still more on the couch side than the 5k side. But, I figured the program would be good for my health. What I learned in the first go around was that I actually enjoyed running, when my shins weren't killing me, that is.

I know it may be foolish to buy a pair of VFFs before being established as a runner. Then again, VFFs are supposed to be eased into, a little bit at a time, to let your feet and long-forgotten muscles a chance to catch up. So, experienced runners and newbies alike have to go slow in them at first. Seems like the perfect time to use the C25k program! So that is what I'm going to do.

Read the blog, don't read the blog, it's all good. It's really for me to write how I feel, to keep myself honest. I can't make too many excuses for not running when I have to write about it the next day, can I?

Anyway, that's the long and short of it.

Oh, here is the C25k program I will be following. Week 1, day 1, has been completed. On to the blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment