Friday, June 18, 2010

Week 1, Day 2 (2nd overall)

Last night was the second day of the restarted program for me. It went like this:

Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Not too strenuous, huh? Well, when blisters start forming on your pinky toes, and then your big toes, it makes this simple run/walk much more daunting.

Blisters. This was supposed to happen, is supposed to happen to Five Fingers newcomers. But that doesn't mean I can't complain about it.

They hurt! They started on my pinkies, forcing me to run more off my big toe (which perhaps I should be doing anyway...), which then caused blisters to form on my big toes. One thing that helped me along the way was the grass running parallel to the sidewalk on which I ran. During the walking segments, I walked in the grass, and it felt GREAT.

The good news about the run was that my shin splints have virtually disappeared, and my knees have no pain whatsoever. Also, I was running faster than ever until the blistering started.

The day after brings me some foot pain. Mostly the blisters, but also some general soreness in the balls and arch. My calves are surprisingly quiet, as I've read these are usually sore after using VFFs. Perhaps I am doing it wrong? I doubt that, because last night just felt so right.

I am hoping the blisters get tougher before tomorrow nights jog. I just want to get that one over with and get my two days of rest before starting week 2. Once calluses begin to form, I can't foresee many more painful issues starting, with the exception of running out of breath!

That being said, I felt full of breath for pretty much the whole run. Perhaps this is because I already completed three weeks of the program in shoes before the restart, or because of the different running style. That remains to be seen. It did feel fairly effortless, conditioning-wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment