Sunday, June 20, 2010

Week 1, Day 3 (3rd overall)

Last night was the third and final run of week 1, and it felt GREAT.

My knees felt great. My shins felt great. My blisters felt better, and my calves...

...made an appearance!

That's right, I finally feel some burning in my calves. What is weird is that they didn't burn during the last run or the day after the last run, but yesterday they started whispering to me: "I am starting to feel a little sore." During the run last night, they were again silent. But today, they again feel sore. It is only a little bit, and it is only the bottom part of the calves, but it is nice to finally feel what I was supposed to feel using these Five Fingers. I feel like I am doing something right.

My KSOs felt much better last night thanks to a modification I read about on birthdayshoes.com. I noticed that my big toes were quite tight, but my other toes barely fit halfway into the pockets. What I did was heat the bottom part of the big toe with a lighter until the rubber material was warm, and then stretched it out with my hands. I repeated this several times and it doesn't stretch very much. But when I tried them on, it was like they fit perfectly. You may not feel good about applying fire to your $80 Vibrams, but I don't think there is much to worry about. As long as you don't touch the fire to the fabric on top of the shoe, you should be OK. Keep in mind I did this with KSOs. I don't know how it will work with the other models.

This modification made my blisters feel much better, as they were most likely caused by the misfitting shoes. A new one cropped up on the ball of my left foot, but it didn't hurt too bad. I have a feeling they will be nice and tough after my two day rest before starting week two of the program.

I was more out of breath last night than I was the first two days, and I think the reason is twofold. First, it was very hot and humid last night, difficult to get a full breath of oxygen. Second, I was running faster than I had before, without slowing down much as the run/walk went on. With the blisters and knees feeling good, there was no reason to slow down. It was the best workout yet. I am more than ready for the next step.

Today, the day after, feels awesome. Just some minor pain in my right foot. Everything else feels fine. No run tonight or tomorrow night. Bring on week two!

No comments:

Post a Comment