Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Week 5, Run 1 (14th overall)


I just finished the first run of week 5, comprised of three 5-minute running segments with nice 3-minute walking breaks between. It could not have gone better.

Where is the final run of week 4, you ask? Well, I didn't run it. An unexpected schedule change at work derailed my plans of running Saturday night. Sunday, I was planning on making up for it by riding my bike around a local park, but alas, it started to thunderstorm just as I was getting ready to leave. I don't feel bad about it. After all, I did the week 4 run four times... it was just in a span of two weeks.

So, I felt ready to go ahead with week 5 starting tonight, the usual schedule I follow.

It really felt great. The foot was feeling great. My form could not have been better. You just get a good rhythm going and simply KNOW you are doing things right. The other day, my wife was driving by and saw me running. When I got home she said, "I didn't recognize you until I got close, you didn't look awkward at all!" Thanks, honey. I choose to ignore the underlying insult and instead focus on the positive: my form looks good. Or, at least, "not awkward." :)

Currently my foot is elevated on a pillow with a bag of ice under the ankle, as the doctor ordered.

Oh, and I wanted to mention that I followed my own advice and sat on the porch for awhile before going inside after the run. Cooling down while still outside in the warm air is less shock to your system than going right in to the air conditioning inside. It really seemed to help.

The next run of week 5 is different than the first one, which is the first time that has been the case thus far in the program. I have two 8-minute running segments to look forward to Thursday night. I don't think it will be a problem. I am feeling good right now.

1 comment:

  1. Good going ColtsFan! Glad to see the foot is bearing up and the program is working for you.

    ReplyDelete