Saturday, July 24, 2010

Week 5, Run 3 (16th overall)


This run was by far the most challenging to date. It was simply a continuous 20 minute run. It seems the formula for the next couple weeks is to end with a long continuous run, and then go back easier beginning the next week.

Considering the above, and the fact that I did not take a day off to rest this week, I'd say I did a fantastic job. I did the whole thing without stopping, except for a 5-second delay while waiting for a car to cross the intersection. I was never out of breath, and felt like I could have kept running.

The very best thing is that my tendonitis did not bother me before, during, or after the run. Even today it hasn't hurt. Is it gone? Healed? If that were true, I would be one happy camper. I will still wear the ankle brace and ice the foot, but maybe not much longer if it continues feeling good.

The run was actually an option. Either run 20 minutes, or 2 miles. I decided to run for 20 minutes, but I wanted to come close to the 2 miles also. I don't want my pace to be so far off that I am not actually ready for a 5k at the end of the program. So, thanks to mapmyrun.com, I found out just how far I would need to go to get the two miles. Basically I just did a mile out from my house, and then a mile back. At the half-way point of the run (10 minutes), I had run about 8 tenths of a mile. After the 20 minutes of running, I had run over a mile and a half. Which is about a 13 minute mile. So, I'm a little off pace. If you read this nice review of the program, you will find that this might just be a flaw in the program's design. While it is nice to go the distance in the same amount of time that the program suggests, you don't have to. And you certainly shouldn't be discouraged if you can't.

All that being said, I know I could have gone at a faster pace. I really started out slow knowing that 20 minutes of running lay ahead. Next time I think I will try to speed up my pace for a couple minutes at a time, and then slow back down for awhile. Just to see if I can make the correct distance.

I am very happy that I have THREE DAYS OF REST! My feet and calves deserve it.

I need to make my mp3s for week 6. And then I will tackle it head on.

No comments:

Post a Comment